Tuesday 7 April 2009

Vicious Circles...

I was thinking the other day about re-naming my blog...Money Matters...or Sophie the Spendthrift or some such a name...because I appear to have become entirely obsessed with the green stuff...or purple, or orange, or in my case, mostly copper (let's not even mention the red). It's funny because I realised that being an obsessive compulsive, on just about everything, I have my waves of obsessing over different things. I pick up one 'must have' and then drop it again for another. I believe this derived from being spoilt as a child. It is a shameful habit of mine, and almost impossible to shake off. Anyway, the first and foremost obsession is of course the never-ending, sickeningly annoying and also a tad frightening issue of Marriage. WOW. Marriage...that's like what parents do and stuff, you know...be married and all...and here I am, almost 25 grand years of age thinking about Marriage?!!! I tell you what, I wouldn't be if it wasn't for the 13th friend on facebook to have recently changed their relationship status to 'Engaged'. Jealous? Moi? Of course I bloody am. In the 10 years since puberty struck it's evil gong, I have only been single for 2 weeks (no messing around and crying there then) yet I am becoming increasingly petrified about being left on the shelf. Yes, it's fine to have a boyfriend, it's all good to say you've been together for two years and yes we have rabbits and a house and blah blah blah....but getting the guy to actually put a ring on your finger (knowing full well you'll want to choose it given how fussy you are) and swear that he wants to be with you for the rest of your lives?? That is no easy feat!!! Yet, people are doing it all the time! All over the place, women are managing to secure themselves lovely, perfect husbands in boxes. Well, this jack-out-of a box, isn't too happy about it.

Moving on after feeling left out, I focused my mind on other objectives that make me happy...buying things. After New York (I decided not to blog about NY as my sister did a far grander job on this matter than I could ever have managed) I have hardly spent a penny on myself. Instead I have been saving like there's no tomorrow...and what for? a car. A brand, spanking new, bloody 09 number-plated car. Recession Sophie? Credit Crunch? Nope, that's cool, I will happily carry on living in my mad dream world of 'Oh it's ok, I can afford it...I'll just use my savings'. Well, reality has bitten me, right on the lambda probe (some part of my car that has been replaced recently - speaking of which, my car has had so many parts laden on it lately, it wouldn't surprise me if it had turned into a Fiat 500).

Car = no holiday with girly friends. No holiday with girly friends = no holiday this Summer. No holiday this Summer = no tan. No tan = pale skin, hollow eyes, pasty complexion. This lot = no husband anytime soon.

Um, suggestions?

Best singstar songs discovered after Chardonnay (which I never drink...must have been desperate or M&S had an offer on):
Fix you, Coldplay and Run, Leona Lewis

Daftest thing I did this week:
Drink a bottle of Chardonnay on a Monday night. Ouch.

Thing I am loving more than ever right now:
The Weather!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need neither a husband nor a new car right now, trust me!

A holiday, on the other hand... x

sduck said...

haha, fair point...holiday-check! the rest...can wait x

mrsnatmartin said...

Well I must be late in reading this because as I skim the words 'loving the weather', I look outside and grumble because there is no sun but greyness and drizzle. I must keep up with your blog on time.
Another interesting read Soph. I agree with Charlotte. Husband = marriage = planning = streeeesssssss. Also, newer car = higher insurance = poorness = no money for petrol = no freedom = trappedness.

However! Holiday = chillaxing = calm body and mind = genuine organic happiness = lower blood pressure = happy heart = longer life = more time for marriage and saving for car.

sduck said...

Love it Nat, thanks, you are funny, and totally understand your logic...a spinster i shall remain! x